Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Dark Eldar Feathered Nightmares!



"You think that's summer rain falling? Ha! It is the blood of those who crossed the Scourges, boy. You cannot see them, but your foolish kin adorn the spires and crenealltions of High Commorragh like grisly fruit upon the bough. Up there they bleed out their last, moaning and helpless, impaled through and through. No! Do not look upward! Catch a Watcher's eye, and it will be your blood that rains down next..."
— Edric Shiverhand, Slave-Elder of Gomor Sump





My first finished models of 2013 and I wanted to go all out on this unit of Scourges. I Airbrushed then hand detailed the bird wings. I airbrushed the OSL effects on the wings and the weapons. I used my same DE skin tone technique but tried to improve my brush technique from my previous work.

I hope you guys like them!
















16 comments:

  1. The wings look amazing on these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glowing effect works great and the wing work is amazing. Nice job, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Specatular. Really nice lighting on the wings especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work, man! The OSL is spectacular, and I really like how 'real' the feathers turned out. Exemplary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was these very models that made me jump on the DE wagon. I think they are brilliant models, and you've done them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work with the wing detail. How did you achieve such a subtle yet eye popping light effect?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really amazing work there, I much prefer them to the GW ones, they look far darker and more evil. I wish I found this blog sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Everyone!

    All the OSL work was airbrushed. Just takes a fine dual action detail brush and some patience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something was wrong with the pictures before. I just fixed it and now you can see them in a larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which model of dual action airbrush would you recommend? I've been meaning to buy one for a while but know absolutely nothing about them. I will want it mainly for OLS work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really want to spend the money for a quality product, Iwata makes some of the best: http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/eclipse/

      This is what I personally use. It's an Iwata knock-off. But it does the job. The master G-44.
      http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/master-precision.aspx

      Delete
  11. Fantastic work! I love the wings, the vials and OSL effects are dead sexy too :)

    Did you model the wing colours on a particular bird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man.

      They started out based on Barn Owl feather patterns but ultimately ended up looking more Hawk like just cause of the shape of the wings.

      Delete